Exclusive Author Interview and Sale Alert: When It's Love by Emma Lauren:

5:34 AMAlma Lopez



A Conversation With
EMMA LAUREN

Author of
WHEN IT’S LOVE
LOCATION: THE WORLD OVER

When It's Love is contemporary new adult fiction like you've never read it before.  Sexy from page one, this book follows college student Sydney Morrison as she tries to break away from the dark truth about who she really is. As she unexpectedly tumbles into a torrid online affair with her professor, she exposes herself in ways she never imagined.

Then Sydney's darkest secret begins to hunt her down just when she thinks she's escaping it. Suddenly, nothing is what is seems to be, and Sydney finds herself torn between truth and love.

This book contains explicit content and adult situations. 17+

*****

Hi, Emma. I would like to begin by asking where the ideas behind your new book came from? 

Hi, Nick.  Thanks so much for this interview.  The idea for When It’s Love really comes from my fascination with the way technology has changed human interaction.  

What was your main inspiration?

I had the characters of Sydney and Professor Sparling rolling around in my head.  I thought I’d write a short story about them, but I quickly realized I could weave a much longer story around them.  When I decided to write a novel, I knew I wanted to write a book that people could connect to and that had the elements I love in a book: romantic, sexy, funny, and moving.

Do you have a specific writing style? 

I don’t know that I have a specific style, but I do try to be concise.  I wouldn’t mind being a little more verbose!

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

I suppose if there’s a theme in the book, its identity.  What makes you who you are?  That’s the question Sydney grapples with.  And, moreover, are you the person you seem to be?  
Since When It’s Love is the first thing I’ve written under a pen name, the work was an exploration in my own identity.  Could I have written the same thing under my given name?  I don’t know.  Having a masked identity allows for a certain freedom…

What books have most influenced your life? 

As far as classical books go, Wuthering Heights, which I first read in 9th grade, is as good as a romance novel gets.  But for contemporary influences, I’d have to say 50 Shades.  I say that not because of the writing or the storyline, but because the 50 Shades books mainstreamed steamy romance novels.  Suddenly it became okay to say, “Oh, yeah, I was up half the night writing about oral sex.”
  
What book are you reading now?

Teresa Mummert’s Perfect Lie

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members. 

My cats count as family, right?  So I’d have to say Nespresso.  What would I have done without the coffee capsules?!

Do you see writing as a career? 

I work full-time as a writer and editor in a different genre.  I would be thrilled to be successful enough in the romance world to be able to write romance novels full-time.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

I don’t think so.  Perhaps I’d make it a bit longer.  I feel like it works as is, though.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

Since I first put pen to paper around the age of five, I’ve been writing stories.

Who designed the cover for When It’s Love?

Regina Wamba of Mae I Design.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

The hardest thing by far was finding peace and quiet to write.  I have a very full and active home life which I’m extremely grateful for.  But, since I wrote When It’s Love in addition to a full-time job, it really came at the expense of family time/sleep/exercise.
  
As far as the actual writing went, writing about Sydney’s past was difficult.  I wanted readers to really feel her pain.  And if you’ll allow me to be very frank, it’s hard to write an orgasm.  It’s not just that the vocabulary is limited, but it requires the right sentence rhythms, otherwise it falls flat.  And no one wants a flat climax!

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I learned the importance of plotting and of figuring out where the book should go in advance.  In other fictional writing, I’ve always let my characters guide me to the end.  They surprise me, and I don’t know how a work of fiction is going to end.  That was still true of When It’s Love.  I definitely did not know what Sydney would decide at the end of the book until I got there, but in order to get to that last dramatic scene, I had to do some serious plotting.

Do you have any advice for other writers? 

Get it out as soon as it pops into your head!  And don’t get discouraged by rejections or bad reviews.  Just keep going until you find your audience.  Thanks to the simplicity of self-publishing and social media, writers really can get their work out there and reach the people who will be interested in it.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

Thank you for reading.  I kid you not, every time someone buys a book, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude!
  
What were the major challenges in bringing your story to life?

The characters have been rolling around in my mind for a long time.  I just really had to crack down on myself to make the time to write.  It wasn’t easy, but I did it!  So now all I can do is cross my fingers and hope that readers enjoy the book as much as I enjoyed writing it.  And, of course, I need to keep working on the sequel, When It’s Over.  I plan to release it in the spring.

Emma loves reader feedback. Contact her at
emmalauren86 [at] gmail.com
Blog: http://emmalauren.net
Twitter: @emma_romance
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/emma.lauren.756


Get Emma Lauren’s sizzling romance When It’s Love on Amazon today…but be careful. It may just burn your fingers! 

Now on sale for a limited time...Just 99 pennies!

Purchase links:




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form