5 Star Reviews Book Reviews

Spotlight and Review: Hasty Resolution by Sam Taylor Mullens

8:46 AMAlma Lopez



Synopsis:

Jake, a US Marine, has been on a nonstop roller coaster ride in the Middle East for over a decade. While on a medical leave seeking help for PTSD he snaps and abducts a woman thinking it will be the remedy plaguing his thoughts. The woman, Liz, witnesses his hallucinations, night terrors and anxieties and quickly becomes sympathetic to his plight. A relationship between the two begins to flourish.


Goodreads Link: Hasty Resolution

Review:

I really don't even no where to begin with this one. I did't see this book coming, but it smacked me right on my ass and left me speechless. The synopsis really doesn't do it justice. This story has so many levels that go far deeper than just your run of the mill romance novel. I couldn't put this book down if there was a fire burning my house down. Don't get me wrong, I would drop to the floor and crawl dutifully to my escape, but with my kindle firmly in my hand while doing it. My heart ached for Jake and his struggle with his demons. Stories that deal with the military always tend to touch me on a much deeper level, because I grew up with my dad in the Army, then my brother joined the Navy, and my husband is currently in the Air Force. This book really caught me by surprise, which only made me fall in love with it even more. Definetly a must read!

"Liz chargers at me again, this time burying her face in my chest and wrapping her arms around my waist. She cries into my shirt. I hold onto her. I smell her lavender-scented hair and take in the warmth of her creamy skin. I don't want to release her. Liz's touch relaxes me. I need her more than she'll ever know." -Jake

Liz lives a normal meek life with her husband and three kids. She has hit an all time low with the mounting health issues she has with her heart, to her husbands clear distaste towards her the past years. She is pretty much on autopilot and that is putting it mildly. Her whole world changes dramatically when her routine morning walk leads her to an encounter with an intriguing stranger working the fields. That seemingly innocent conversation suddenly leads her in the back of a truck disguised a a sack of potatoes while crossing the border to Canada. I know what you are thinking...how can this be a romance novel after an abduction? How can she possibly overlook being kidnapped and not only have feelings for him, but also trust him wholeheartedly? Believe me, I thought the same thing. Jake is such an amazing, noble, sweet, and respectful man. You will be pliable putty in his hands too, trust me.

"It hits me like a ton of bricks: this guy likes me, really likes me. A peck on the forehead, his flirtatious way of grabbing hold of me in the cave, and now a kiss by the ear. Perhaps he's just a flirty kind of guy. Should I dismiss it all? Everything is mixed up in my head, all muddled. I can't think straight. Jake abducted me, yet he is being so nice to me. Too nice. Jake is making it difficult to feel contempt against him. I shouldn't be fraternizing with my enemy. Is he my enemy?" -Liz

Jake is a Marine that is dealing with the unbearably large baggage of his consecutive tours to the Middle East. From the very first chapter you feel an instant connection with this lost soul, just trying to stumble his way back to the light. The mere image of Liz kept him going, even in the darkest of days. He just snapped one day, which led to his hasty decision to take Liz. What started off as a kidnapping, ends up being a chance opportunity to find the love people only dream of having. Jake thought that he needed Liz to help his broken soul, but Liz needed Jake just as desperately. They helped heal one another in the only ways they knew how.

"What one snapshot of me did for him so many years ago was powerful. Tears sting my eyes as i come to realize that Jake fell in love with me the moment he spoke to me. My heart aches for him now more than ever. His memory of me is what got him through a lot of shit, until he broke so many times inside, until he finally shattered." -Liz

Their time together out in his secluded cabin in Canada, was something they both cherished and didn't want to end. He struggled to find out what his future should be and if he could go back to do another tour when he felt he was still too broken. At first they both thought their time together was a temporary haven that would eventually end and they would go back to reality. The connection they shared only grew into something neither of them expected, which made them both want a future together after they left the cabin. Unfortunately, both of their realities came chasing after them and were forced to go back. Will the time apart in the real world help them to realize that they are meant to be? Or will the space created just tear them apart for good?

"I love you, Liz. I would do anything for you. You gave me purpose when I didn't have hope. You help drive the demons from my mind. You calm everything around me down. I love you being with me. It hurts to think about the day when I can't have you by my side." -Jake

I LOVED this story! It made my heart ache horribly at times, but those are the stories that you know will stay with you for a long time. This story was refreshingly original, emotional, and passionate. The characters were easy to connect with and their bond flourished seamlessly. The story kept my kindle glued to my hand all day long. There were a few WTF moments thrown in there. Like, how Jake's friend and wife found out she was abducted, but didn't even really bat an eye. His friend's wife was actually routing for them to stay together, even though she had her kids back at home. This should have thrown red flags out everywhere, but I actually thought it showed how loyal they were to Jake. The chapters from Liz's husband, Mike's perspective were a great touch that just solidified why Liz should stay with Jake. I really wished that there was an epilogue or a possible novella for this one. I was left wanting soooo much more! Tip of my imaginary hat to you, Mrs. Mullens. This was a fantastic surprise that I will carry with me for the unseeable further. Go read this book!

5 out of 5 Soul Touching, Passion-filled Stars!
    



Purchase Links:


    Amazon Link:                       Amazon (UK) Link:

                   



Author Low Down:



          I am happily married living in beautiful Colorado. I have two daughters, a son, and a schnauzer named Charlie. I love a good day hanging out with my daughters. On weekends, I am actively involved in special needs recreational sports teams with my autistic son.

      I did not set out to conquer the literary world, win awards, sell a million copies, or have any piece of fiction be my claim to fame.  I simply wanted to write a novel I enjoyed reading.  A character stuck in my mind, brought their friends with them and ran with it.  Writing is an escape for me.  If you enjoyed this piece of fiction, related to the characters or the plot then my efforts were not in vain.

Stalk Links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/samtaylor.mullens
Twitter: MullensSam

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form