Spotlight and Review of Torn by Eleanor Green:

5:54 AMAlma Lopez


Synopsis:

When Katie Harrington becomes engaged to Branson Stone she believes her life is right on track for all her dreams to come true. 

However, flashes of a life she never lived haunt her—leading her to discover a past that has been purposely erased from her memory in order to protect her from horrible truths.

The look on her fiancé's face as she retells everything she remembers will forever be etched in her mind. Instead of catching and comforting her, he lets her go.

Retreating to the family’s cottage in the Outer Banks for the summer, Katie’s heart begins to heal. She succumbs to the allure of a dangerously handsome local, Aidan Romero. But as soon as Katie begins to let go and move on with Aidan . . . Branson finds her.

Now Katie is torn between two lives—facing her painful past with Branson, or moving on with Aidan and keeping the secrets safely buried forever.

Goodreads Link: Torn

Review:

I can not begin to express how surprised and delighted I was with this amazing debut novel by Eleanor Green! I didn't really know what to expect from this book, but I always keep an open-mind. I was enthralled by the emotions this book evoked in me. Right from the beginning you are provided with an incredible allure of mystery. I was undeniably hooked like a kola to her favorite tree. You are taken on an incredible journey to love...then are deviated to catastrophic devastation. I love when a new author just bulldozes me with an incredible, enticing, heart clenching story that hits me unknowingly. Where have you been hiding Ms. Green?

I don't even know where to begin. Katie Harrington is clearly a timid, hopeful, intelligent woman who studied diligently to accomplish her goals in school. She has everything in her life meticulously planned out, even down to when she will get married. Her only social life revolves around her best friend Maggie. She doesn't go to parities like the typical college students do, choosing to study instead. Her life takes a unsuspecting delightful turn when she meets Branson. They instantly connect and have all kinds of things in common. Katie and Branson are sickly adorable together. Their relationship progresses naturally and the sexual tension could melt the polar icecaps. The "meant-to-be" feeling was gushing all over the place when it came to their connection. Everything was progressing naturally between them, and even though she wanted to save herself for marriage, she felt  that Branson was definitely the one and temptation just became to overwhelming to deny.

"He was strong enough to protect her, yet gentle enough to hold her and make her feel like she was the only woman in the world. She felt tears sting her eyes when the reality of her emotion hit her. She felt alive when she was with Branson, and when she wasn't she thought about him constantly. His eyes disarmed her, his dimples made her giggle, and his body sent an electric current from her toes to the top of her head whenever she came in contact with it."

While everything in her life seemed to be going perfectly, her emotions soon began to provoke something within her. She began having more and more reoccurring nightmares that she could not explain. She remembered things and people that she has no recollection of. The intensity of the dreams increased and awakened disarmingly confusing emotions in her. She finally decides to see someone about the dreams in attempt to get her life and sleep back on track. The therapist decides to hypnotized her in hopes she can get some answers. The hypnotherapy unearths a unbearable load of memories of her past. She recalls every torturous detail of her devastating upbringing. I have never been so animated while reading. You don't just get flashes from her past, you expierence every painful moment of it as she relives each moment. I became a pro of holding my kindle one-handed during the entire middle of this book. While one hand was designated on holding my kindle, the other one was firmly clenching my fist to my heart. It must have been absolute torture to go through all that agony in the first place,  then having to relive it again must have been even more dreadful. The perfect life she thought she had was just one big lie, and now she had no clue what this was going to do to her relationship with Branson. I don't want to give away to many details and ruin it for the readers who haven't read it yet.

"Katie searched Branson's face, unable to read his expression. His lips quivered as he tried to contain his emotion. Tears pooled at his eyelashes, but she wasn't sure if he was angry, disappointed, or disgusted. She stood on wobbly legs and walked over to where Branson was sitting. His hands were clasped and his forearms rested on his knees. He wouldn't look at her when she approached, he remained still and tears spilled down his cheeks, leaving a pattern on his slacks. Katie inhaled sharply and tried to swallow the sob that escaped as she removed the ring from her finger. 'I'm sorry.'"

All kinds of desperate questions ran through me after she revealed her past to Branson. What would happen to them? Will this change who she is? Will he allow for her past to get in the way of their future? It was an emotional hail storm and I was desperate for the sun to break through the clouds for them. Katie's grandmother always seemed to find ways to interfere in other peoples lives. She took it upon herself to take Katie away for the summer so she can think things through. Her summer away helped her more than she thought possible. The thing that helped her heal came in a very unexpected package. I really didn't see it coming. I know I am being vague and a bit mysterious, but I would hate to take away from the experience that I had while reading. Let's just say, that while finding herself, another difficult situation is formed. She has to make some incredibly difficult decisions of what she wants her future to be.

"Remember the guy in the bar that wouldn't back off and you punched him?"
"Yes."
"After it was over you said...I was worth it-worth fighting for. You didn't fight for me this time, Branson. You gave up on us so easily. It hurt...you really hurt me."
"I know." Branson lowered his head shamefully. "I'll spend the rest of my life making it up to you, if you'll give me the chance."

You know you have a read a really good book, when all sorts of emotions are thrust at you from every direction. I went to sleep thinking about this book and woke up needing to find out what happens to them. I really enjoyed the set up of the book. It was fantastically written and continued to surprise me the entire time.  I am beyond thrilled that I received an ARC copy for this book. I hope that Eleanor Green continues to write more books like this one. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for more from this author. Go out and read this book...you won't regret it. 

4.5 out of 5 Heart Clenching Stars! 





Author Low Down:

Eleanor Green resides in Tennessee with her husband and two children. She enjoys the things everyone else does—reading, writing, cooking—but is also an adventure seeker. 

Terrified of cats, passionate about hot tea, allergic to being cold.

Still left on her bucket list: getting lost in Italy and being invited in for dinner by a sweet family, eating a scorpion, and swimming with the dolphins.

Eleanor also writes under the name Lisa Poston Murphy. 



Stalk Links:



Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/AuthorEleanorGreen

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form