4 Star Reviews Book Reviews

Review & Spotlight: Finding Solace by Barbara Speak

3:48 AMAlma Lopez


Synopsis:

Sadie Warren is a walking contradiction. The confidence she wears on the outside is only to cover the scars that are imbedded on her soul. Coming out of an abusive relationship where she was stripped of her security and confidence, she chooses to bury it under every man she gives her body to. After one intoxicated night that she will never remember in its entirety, everything begins to change. Being seen more for her positive attributes and less for her faults, Sadie arises from the dark and into a place she feels safe. But with that comes a chain of events that blur the lines of everything she thought she needed and everything she's beginning to want. Will fear keep her from the one thing she believes she desires most or will fate take a turn unexpectedly and change everything?

Goodreads Link: Finding Solace

Purchase Links:

Amazon Kindle: Finding Solace

Amazon (Paperback): Finding Solace


Review:

Wowza...wide range of emotions even a normal person would need some sort of decoder ring to decipher! This was another unexpected debut novel by a new author that will definitely leave it's mark on you. I think I just found my new favorite indulgence...stumbling upon new authors that blow my mind with well written amazing books I didn't see coming! Hey, it's gratifying and doesn't come with the added calories my chocolate fudge brownie packs. If you wouldn't have told me that this was Barbara Speak's first novel, I would have never been the wiser. The story was gripping and emotional...everything to keep you pleasantly frustrated and on the edge of your love seat. Colton and Sadie's connection was complicated, passionate, and deep. The emotional layers were stacked up and you just knew that eventually it will all come crashing down, but you couldn't tear your eyes or heart away even if you tried. After being involved in an abusive relationship, Sadie was still trying to find her place and decipher her inner insecurities and emotions. This is the story of her journey to healing and all the unsuspecting pitfalls that lie ahead.

"Having sex with different guys but never getting attached, meant that we could still be friends but they would always come back for more. And with each time, I felt a sense of power. However, lately I had been feeling different. I really didn't want the power, I just didn't want them to have it either. Finding that balance was tricker than I thought." -Sadie

While Sadie was still battered and bruised on the inside from her previous relationship, she tried to find her way back into the light. She had a great group of friends and a job that she loved. After one night of uninhibited drinking, she awoke to a foreign bed and a sexy man, which she apparently had a wildly hot night with. Unfortunately, all she could remember about him was her not so gracious introduction from the night before. Colt is devastatingly hot and eager to get more of Sadie. He becomes her guide into her emotional journey of self discovery. Colt finds a way to make Sadie feel strong, confident, and cherished. Colt has his own baggage and has come back to school for a second chance at his missed youth. Due to his current state of mind, their relationship is kept casual, but is nonetheless profound to them both no matter how much they attempted to disguise it from everyone, including themselves.

"Well then listen here woman. I've had to sit back and watch every dick head here tonight talk to you, touch you, dance with you. Eyeball you like they are going to fuck you. It is my turn. I need you Sadie. It's past want. Please come home with me. I'm not asking for sex. I just need you tonight. Please." -Colt

Colt and Sadie continue to play their emotional game of cat and mouse back and forth, with Colt pulling away every time things got too deep. Sadie struggles to burry her true feelings for Colt in order to keep him in her life. The effect that Colt has on her is to intense to let him go, so she takes whatever he will give to her. While this internal battle tests her limits, she finds a bit of comfort in another willing new tall hunk of man meat. Ash was a delightful surprise to the already confused Sadie. 

"You, my beautiful, are single handedly the most spectacular person I have ever met. The idea that not only do I get the opportunity to know you, but get to experience what we have together with you. I am one very lucky man Sadie. I don't take for granted what I get to share with you, but you need to take care of you first." -Colt

Ash was amazing to Sadie. He was a gentle and caring gentlemen wrapped in a hot sexy package. Let the swooning commence. Ash is determined to do things right with Sadie, because he wants her true emotions. Can Sadie ever truly let go of Colt? Will Ash's patience be strong enough to wait for something that may never happen? Will Colt finally let go of his misguided views and admit his true feelings? Or will it all come to late? So many questions and possibilities. Fate for many people can be a hidden blessing, but for some it can be a cruel and unfair bitch. Timing is everything, and this story does a perfect job at showing you why.

"Everything I have been through so far has set me up for where I am now. I would not take back a thing. Mistakes can be the best learning experiences. The most important lesson I believe I have learned is, never be afraid to fail or you can never reach the goal you were trying to achieve. I could not be happier with how this chapter of my life turned out." -Sadie

This was a fantastic debut novel that I enjoyed every step of the way. Just when you think you have it all figured out and you are sure of the outcome...BAM! You get thrust into another direction you didn't see coming. My emotions were left a dizzy mess from being run through the spin cycle, but it just made me love the story all the more. With the amount of romance novels I have read, it is hard to still surprise me, and this book did a superb job. Keep your eye on this series and amazing author. She just released a novella for this series, Affliction (Finding Solace #1.5), which is Colt's side of the story.  Hmmmm....I wonder what he has to say about all this mess?

4 out of 5 Emotional Charged, It's Raining Hot Men, Passionate Stars!





Affliction (Finding Solace #1.5):


Synopsis:

Hey there guys, my name is Colton Jennings, but most people just call me Colt. After reading Sadie's story myself, I wanted to straighten a few things out. I know everything she told you was how she felt through everything, but it certainly wasn't how I did. I thought I came across as a jerk, like I didn't care enough through the whole ordeal to appreciate what I had while I had it. That was not the case for one second. I was just lost within myself, trying to figure out what I needed from what I wanted and I made the wrong choices. You won't understand a thing I'm saying if you haven't read Finding Solace first. But if you have, this is how I saw it.

Goodreads: Affliction



Author Low Down:



I have a mad passion for books. It could be considered an addiction by some. After the responsibilities of work, being a mother and a wife are  fulfilled each day, I escape in a book. I never really thought of myself as a writer before. My true passion was as a reader. One day an idea came to me and I could not stop after that first thought. I hope you all will enjoy the journey that took me through this book. If all goes well, and you enjoy it, I have plenty more of ideas to go from here.

Stalk Links:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BarbaraSpeak?ref=br_tf

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/my2kkids

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form